NavigationMenu

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Guided Reading Questions - Spanish and English

Hello Friends! I've been working on some ideas about how to better implement Guided Reading questions into my classroom. After trial and error, I discovered I tend to repeat the same questions and truly want to make my students actively think about the texts they are reading.

Since I'm a little Obsessive Compulsive (yes, I admit it) I like to have a list of questions in front of me that I can see, and that I know target different standards so I can practice them on a regular basis with my students. Otherwise I may continuously ask the same questions, or not touch on certain standards as often as others.

After thinking a while I came up with "Guided Reading Question Sticks." From there I went to work on putting it together creatively. I imagined an interactive Guided Reading piece where students were actively selecting a question to discuss. I then made up a list of questions that touch upon different ELA standards. For example, "What is the title of the story?" "What do you predict will happen next?" There are a total of about 30 questions, three groups of questions that are divided by color, pre-reading questions, during reading questions and post-reading questions.

From there, I designed a beautiful format that's visually pleasing (I'm a little obsessive about this as well). I printed out each question on a 4x6 plain white index card and then taped / glued it to a colored straw. You could also attach them to Popsicle sticks or whatever does the job! I placed each group of questions into their own jar and VOILA, now the students are able to randomly select a questions to discuss.




 

I tested it out with a few volunteers and it worked GREAT. The students were excited they got to choose Guided Reading questions and were more excited to answer them than if they were to come from me! Instead of me choosing, probing and interrogating the students about things going on in the text, more of the control was placed on the students and they had the power.

I also added a questionnaire worksheet, where students write down their answers to the questions they selected. I won't do this every time as it takes up more time in the Guided Reading Groups, but if you want to assess student's comprehension of each questions this is a more formal manner of doing so.


I really love the way this turned out. It is available on my TPT store for you to purchase! In the package is both the Spanish Questions and the English translations. If you have a different color request, or want to add an additional questions feel free to message me. I would be happy to tweak things for your needs.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy them just as much as I do :)