NavigationMenu

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Author Showcase: Anna Dewdney

I am currently in a Children's Literature class which I am taking towards my Masters! One of the assignments was to showcase an author. Needless to say, I decided to do a showcase on one of my son's favorite authors and illustrators at the moment Anna Dewdney. You can purchase this whole package in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.




Anna Dewdney is such a wonderful, humble and active woman and mother. In everything she does she relays the importance of being a mother. Even in her books, you can see how important she feels the role of a mother is (Llama Llama Misses Mama) (Llama Llama Mad at Mama) (Llama Llama Home with Mama) I think that's why I can relate to her so much! She says, "The most important thing you must know about me, really, is that I am a mother."

The idea for this project was to create an interactive showcase, that will allow the students to not only read about the author, but interact with the author. Kinesthetic learners are going to LOVE this type of display, as well as visual learners. It's very hands-on and visually pleasing.




I'll break down the tri-fold for you. The top are red & white banners I purchased from Target. Pop-out letters were layered on top to create the banner with the name of the author.

Below, I used red and white striped scrapbook paper to layer behind my text frames. There are two small pockets I created for students to interact with. The first pocket is Rhyming Words from Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama Series. Students can each grab a word, and then try to find their rhyming pairs. Or if an individual student is finished early, they can grab all the words and try to match each word with their pair. There are a lot of possibilities with this.

The second pocket is a Vocabulary Pocket. This pockets contains a list of some of the more unique and difficult words in Anna Dewdney's texts. For these words, students can grab one or two words a day, and implement them into the student's daily word work. What does the word mean? Draw a picture of the word. Use it in a sentence. There are lots of great ways to implement this.

Because Anna Dewdney's text are geared more towards lower level elementary, instead of Vocabulary words you could also make a pocket for high-frequency words in her text! There are so many great things you could do.


The rest of the tri-fold is filled with lots of information including 'Who is Anna?' 'About Anna' 'Currently' 'Anna's Writing Process' 'Inspiration' 'Bibliography.' There is LOTS of information included. There are also a couple more interactive elements like you can see in the bottom of the picture below, where students can open flaps and discover more photos and information.




Lastly, one of my favorite parts about the Interactive Anna Dewdney is the 'Write Like Anna' step-by-step series I created. Students will each be given a small booklet, which is pocketed as an example inside one of the interactive flaps in the tri-fold. The booklet I printed on 4x6 index cards to post inside the tri-fold, but you can easily print it on regular 8.5x11 paper for students to write. It has a step-by-step example of how Anna's writing process occurs.

Anna Dewndey begins all her writing by an emotion / feeling. Therefore I have students select a feeling / emotion to begin writing about. Second she typically uses her well-known Llama character, but she does have other books that include a dog, pangolin and bunny. Therefore, Anna uses animal characters. So I have students select an animal main character. Then they go even further and break the story down by story elements, the setting, the characters, the problem, the solution. It's a great way to celebrate Anna Dewdney and incorporate writing!

The MAJOR thing I'm excited about the writing center including is the story elements and story sequencing. They will be asked to create a setting, character, problem and solution. They will also be prompted to follow the sequencing words, first, next, last, finally etc. There are some great writing practices in this piece!


 This whole package is added to my TPT store. What does it include? Not only will you receive step-by-step instructions on how to create pockets, dimensions of products and tips and suggestions but you will also receive:
  • Who is Anna Dewdney Cut Out
  • About Anna Dewndey Cut Out
  • Currently Cut Out
  • Inspiration Cut Out
  • Writing Process Cut Out
  • Bibliography Cut Out
  • Anna Dewdney Vocabulary Slips
  • Anna Dewdney Rhyming Slips
  • Write Like Anna Step-By-Step Series
  • Response Worksheet to Anna Dewdney's Books
  • Llama Llama Graphic Cut Outs
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do :) It will definitely help my students celebrate such a wonderful author, illustrator and mother.